Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Adventures in Moving Part II

....So, they hired him on the spot with no moving or housing allowance, and he was expected to move in two weeks. Right....Well, the lord does work in mysterious ways and came through with many little miracles throughout those two weeks. Thanks to all of you (you know who you are) that were God's angels. As Rob got busy taking care of loose ends at the university, I got busy packing and getting really creative raising the money for the move. I'm a little embarrassed of some of the things I was willing to do to make it happen. Don't worry, nothing illegal, immoral, or otherwise. No need to bore you with all the details of that. So, in a huge whirlwind, we (the Lord), were able to get on the road and out of our apartment. We were driving to Delaware with the understanding that we had a great 3 bedroom Townhome that was move-in ready. When we arrived, we went to do a walk through and were completely mortified with what we saw. I'm pretty sure that the pictures they "recently" took were either 15 years ago or a different property. On the outside, this place looked like the Adam's family mansion. Okay, not really, but it was scary. I'm pretty sure that the building was leaning to the left slightly....or, was it to the right...hmm. But I thought, "give it a chance Kara! It's probably beautiful and shiny inside"! Not so shiny....The smell of mold and mildew hit like a wall of bricks when we walked in. The walls literally had dirt and mold on them in places. The window shades were black they were so dirty. The pantry cupboards were literally covered in mold and mildew. My mother-in-law's eye's caught my gaze and displayed a look of horror to bring my attention to the pantry. In the nicest voice I could possibly muster, I told the leasing agent that this simple wouldn't work because of my Baby's severe allergy to mold and mildew. I was saying that I didn't think it was ready to move in at all and I could smell the mold and mildew. She looked at me wide-eyed and said, "Oh really?" as if she couldn't see what I was seeing at all. She must have lefter her seeing eye dog at home. Okay, that wasn't very nice. I honestly could not understand how this house was even ready to be on the market at all! So, back to the drawing board and a couple more nights in a hotel paying way too much so that our son wouldn't have an asthma attack in the hotel as a reaction to the mold and dust mites....To be continued...

0 comments: